Public Relations is the discipline which looks after reputation, with the aim of earning understanding and support and influencing opinion and behavior. It is planned and sustained effort to establish and maintain goodwill and mutual understanding between an organization and its public.
“Public Relations is all about reputation – the results of what you do, what you say and what others say about you.”
When you graduate with a Public Relations qualification, there are endless options for you to venture into as long as it deals with corporate image and marketing. However, we have narrowed down the following Five most relevant career options for you:
- Public Relations
- Prepares, distributes and directs information for the media, coordinates the ideal location and logistical aspects of the press conferences, writes the speeches and briefs for the executives on answering questions and establishes themselves as the liaison for any further information.
- Plans for the worst-case scenario by having generic news releases ready for emergency distribution and often specializes in a specific skill, such as crisis management.
- Consults firms or large corporations by conducting research and compiling data, writing reports, news releases and promotional pieces and coordinating special events and opportunities for target groups
- Social Media Consultancy
- Utilizes Social Media to administrate content strategy, develop brand awareness and generate inbound traffic to cultivate leads and sales.
- Designs and implements the company’s content strategy, creates relevant content, blogging, community participation and leadership.
- Conceptualizes a plan to seed conversations online for the company to increase corporate brand equity.
- Event Management
- Research markets to identify opportunities for events.
- Liaises and coordinates internal and external parties such as venue management, caterers, stage designers, contractors and equipment hire.
- Conceptualizes themes, plan rooms layouts, entertainment programmes and schedules workshops and demonstrations.
- Consolidates and communicates on strict event timeline and schedule.
- Strategic Planning & Management
- Responsible to formulate, implement and evaluate cross-functional decisions that enable an organization to achieve its objective.
- Identifies suitable strategies to achieve the goals and objectives of an organization.
- Improves suitable awareness of the external and internal environments and clearly identifies the competitive advantage.
- Improves coordination of the activities and advices on more efficient allocation of company’s resources.
- Account Management
- Maintain and build existing relationships with clients in order to gain customer loyalty and upsell their company products and services.
- Procure new clients for the company.
- Manage and solve conflicts with clients.
The bottom-line is, the key to a successful career in Public Relations is strong communication and problem-solving skills (and technically speaking, such skills are needed in every industry)! IACT College Mass Communication programs allow you to dive into the world of Public Relations by providing PR major in both our diploma and degree program. Have a look and find out more about the Mass Communication courses!